Dean Johnson recognised as CA Business Valuation Specialist
The Partnership and team are proud to congratulate Dean Johnson on his recent recognition as a CA Business Valuation Specialist.
Dean received the official accreditation through Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand earlier this month, after completing formal study and exams. To date he is one of only two people in Tasmania to qualify for the specialisation.
“This is an area of I have been working in for almost 10 years now” remarks Dean. “I initially started under Harvey Gibson’s supervision, undertaking research and writing assignments before joining the partnership 9 years ago and taking assignments on my own account.”
“Over the years I’ve been fortunate to build my expertise at the same time as building strong business relationships. It isn’t something I have ever had to actively promote – most of the work in this area has come to me through referrals. I’ve worked across the state with a broad range of organisations and individuals.”
The role of a Business Valuation Specialist
Demand for expertise in business valuation is increasing, with courts frequently requiring the credibility of an expert witness to provide evidence where a dispute arises under shareholder agreement.
Dean’s experience includes business valuations in relation to:
- disputes, businesses and partnership dissolution and matrimonial property settlements;
- supporting a company restructure and consolidation for tax purposes;
- quantifying losses for professional negligence or breach of contracts;
- forensic investigation into allegations of misappropriation of funds and fraud;
- engaging an expert witness to provide evidence under affidavit for trial;
- reports in support of applications for compensation to the Commissioner for Victims of Crime;
- reports in support of claims to MAIB for loss of earnings and financial loss arising from wrongful death;
- and other disputes including taxation and estate matters
While Dean had built up his expertise over the years, undertaking formal study for the qualification was something he felt strongly about.
“Irrespective of how much experience we have, I really believe everyone should keep learning – as much for the knowledge as the qualification.”
“As Partners, we are always encouraging professional development for our staff. Obviously, it’s a juggle to combine any study with work commitments and a young family. So, I’m actually pretty proud to have the official recognition.”
Dean joined our team, then Wise Lord and Ferguson, when he left school, completing his Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) part time at UTAS while working. During the early days of his career he worked in our Audit, Assurance and Advisory division before moving into Business and Personal Advisory. Dean joined the WLF Partnership in 2009.