New client ID verification process introduced by ATO and Tax Practitioners Board
The process is known as a Verification of Identity, or VoI, and has been introduced to provide greater cyber security for both accounting firms and clients. It is essential that the VoI is completed before any work is undertaken for a new client.
Who does this apply to?
- New clients of the firm
- New representatives of existing clients, who will be giving instruction or requesting information from us. If you are a business or organisation, this would apply to anyone who commences being a representative of your organisation when working with us – so it might be a new staff member, or a long-term staff member who takes on a new role or responsibility.
I’m a new client, what do I need to do?
We are using a cloud solution called Annature to ensure the verification process is straightforward and secure.
We’ll also give you some brief instructions, so you know what to have ready to complete your VoI.
Here’s a summary of the process:
- As part of our set-up process, when you become a WLF client (or a new representative), we will enter your name, email and mobile phone number into Annature.
- This will generate a notification to your email address and your mobile number, asking you to complete the VoI. The email is system generated and will come from [email protected] email address.
- You will need to click the link in the email (the SMS is just a notification) using either a smartphone or a computer with a camera. If you don’t have access to either of these please let us know, and we can arrange an alternative paper-based process.
- You will need to have either a current passport or a current driver’s licence to complete the verification.
- You will also need to take a photo on your phone or computer – this is part of the verification matching process in the backend of the system.
- Once the verification process is complete, we will receive a notification. If there are any issues or problems your WLF advisor will contact you directly.
WLF have been working with my business for years, but I just employed someone new to work on our finances – what do I need to do?
Our dealings with you or existing staff won’t be impacted by this new process.
However, if you have someone new representing your organisation in dealings with us (either a new staff member, or someone who has changed responsibilities), the ATO and TPB require that they complete the VoI process.
We will take the same steps as mentioned previously, and your staff member or representative will receive the notifications.
We understand that this might seem like a brief inconvenience when we have been working with you for a long time, but the process is mandatory – without this, we are not able to action instructions or requests from your representative.
How do I find out more?
Contact to your WLF Advisor if you have any questions, or would like to set up a VoI process for any new representatives for your organisation.
If you are a new client, we will be discussing this as part of our usual set up process.